All the links to affiliates, ads etc on my blog generate income. I donate 100% of ALL income to various charities. So buy books using links on my blog - they cost you no more - but the affiliate fee I receive is donated to various charities (to see which charities visit http://messcharityrun.blogspot.com.au/)

Wednesday 23 July 2014

2014 Man Booker Prize Longlist

I think I’ve probably let you all know about my feelings towards the changes to the Man Booker Prize this year. My personal belief that the award has now been diminished will be evidenced by the fact that coverage (in the way of reviews) on this site will be a lot less than in previous years and this is not by way of protest, it is simply because there are numerous awards that cater for writers in English and to change the Booker to become like all the others is enough for this old man to call it quits on labouring through long lists and offering up my opinions. That quaint “Commonwealth and Northern Ireland” clause has gone by the wayside, and personally I think the award will be significantly reduced because of it.

I will continue to be interested in the works the award highlights, however my long held passion is now merely a piqued interest.

So without further ado, here is the 2014 Man Booker Prize Longlist:

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour – Joshua Ferris
We Are Completely Beside Ourselves – Karen Joy Fowler
The Bone Clocks – David Mitchell
The Dog – Joseph O’Neill
The Wake – Paul Kingsnorth
J – Howard Jacobson
The Narrow Road to the Deep North – Richard Flanagan
The Lives of Others – Neel Mukherjee
Orfeo – Richard Powers
How to be Both – Ali Smith
History of the Rain – Niall Williams
The Blazing World – Siri Hustvedt
Us – David Nicholls


Enjoy your reading.

Official details at http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/longlist-2014-announced

1 comment:

Bellezza said...

Well, it isn't the first time a list proves disappointing, is it? Here I remember the IFFP travesty in naming The Iraqi Christ its winner. Edward St. Aubyn said it so beautifully in his latest satire Lost For Words. I wonder why it wasn't included in the long list? ;)