All the links to affiliates, ads etc on my blog generate income. I donate 100% of ALL income to various charities. So buy books using links on my blog - they cost you no more - but the affiliate fee I receive is donated to various charities (to see which charities visit http://messcharityrun.blogspot.com.au/)

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Literature supporting Literacy, how this year's Man Booker winner will help

As per last year I am making a personal pledge to ensure that this year's Man Booker Prize winner will benefit charity.

Here’s my deal to give something back to the community, I have aligned a Short Listed book to a charity that supports literacy, and when the winner is announced I will donate $50 (AUD) to the charity aligned to the random book I drew against each worthy cause.

But there’s more…..as per last year I am picking my personal favourite (“Umbrella” by Will Self) and if this novel does take home the prize I will donate $50 to EACH of the charities below. So cheer for “Umbrella” and each charity will also be a winner.

Please feel free to visit any of the links in my post and look at the work these charities are providing, maybe even donate something yourself?

And while you're at it - support me to support charity - if you are thinking of buying a book from Book Depository or Amazon, use the links from my site to get to their sites. It costs you no more to buy the book and I get 5% and 4% of your purchase price, respectively, and I then donate 100% of those funds to charity. One extra click and the less fortunate get something from your purchases.

The Pyjama Foundation – Swimming Home – Deborah Levy


The Pyjama Foundation Love of Learning Program® is a literacy-based mentoring program for children in care. Volunteers from the community – Pyjama Angels – are recruited, screened, trained and supported to help the children improve their literacy skills.

Indigenous Literacy Foundation  The Garden of Evening Mists – Tan Twan Eng

The Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF) aims to raise literacy levels and improve the lives and opportunities of Indigenous Australians living in remote and isolated regions.

Feelix Library – The Lighthouse – Alison Moore


The "Feelix Library" for children is Vision Australia's response to the increased interest in parents and siblings wanting to learn braille. The echidna, called "Feelix" is the symbol of the library, chosen because the echidna has poor vision with very good olfactory and tactual skills.

Care Australia  Bringing Up The Bodies – Hilary Mantel


Gifts from this category support education, which is the basis for creating long-term change. Educated girls become educated mothers, who will have healthier families, earn a greater income and will be more likely to educate their own children.


Learning Links  Narcopolis – Jeet Thayil


To enable children with disabilities and learning support needs, and their families and communities, to realise their individual potential.

Their vision is to have a community in which children and families have equal access to learning opportunities and quality support.

No comments: