All the links to affiliates, ads etc on my blog generate income. I donate 100% of ALL income to various charities. So buy books using links on my blog - they cost you no more - but the affiliate fee I receive is donated to various charities (to see which charities visit http://messcharityrun.blogspot.com.au/)

Thursday 26 July 2012

Booker Prize Long List 2012


Hot off the presses the Long List for this year's Man Booker Prize.

Nicola Barker, The Yips (Fourth Estate)
Ned Beauman, The Teleportation Accident (Sceptre)
André Brink, Philida (Harvill Secker)
Tan Twan Eng, The Garden of Evening Mists (Myrmidon Books)
Michael Frayn, Skios (Faber & Faber)
Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Doubleday)
Deborah Levy, Swimming Home (And Other Stories)
Hilary Mantel, Bring up the Bodies (Fourth Estate)
Alison Moore, The Lighthouse (Salt)
Will Self, Umbrella (Bloomsbury)
Jeet Thayil, Narcopolis (Faber & Faber)
Sam Thompson, Communion Town (Fourth Estate)

A challenging list, I believe, as the judges have a history of academia, and have spoken out about last year being too "readable" - time will tell as I tackle them, but I'm hoping we don't have a plethora of unreadable books. It will be a few weeks before I get to the first of them but as per usual I will post all of my reviews here.

2 comments:

Mary Okeke Reviews said...

Did the book Memomry of Love Shortlisted for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, with the winner to be announced in June 2012 win?

Messy_Tony said...

Hi Mary - No it didn't win the prize, the winner was "Even the Dogs" by Jon McGregor. A bold look at heroin addiction told by a "chorus", it was what I considered to be the best novel from the list but not one that would tickle everyone's fancy.

On the Booker Long List for this year - I'm likely to skip the whole 12 this year and only attack the shortlist. A few of the novelists that are there are not my cup of tea so I may shorten the reading and continue with my 2 remaining Foreign Fiction Prize ones.